Friday, October 10, 2008

Dark Knight, Empire Strikes Back and IMDB

So Dark Knight did drop to the 4 spot on IMDB.com All Time Highest Rated Movie.

Got me to thinking about IMDB and their Rankings.

Personally, I really liked the movie but it does not make my top 20 (maybe top 50) but I was thinking of geek movies... of which I am an expert. Movies that appeal to the geek in us (Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings) Dark Knight does not surpass Return of the King or ... to me the greatest geek movie Empire Strikes Back. Also the best sequel ever. (Godfather was better than Godfather 2).

Lets break Empire down a bit.
1) You have unexpected surprises, forget the "I am your father!". I saw the movie opening day and you should have heard the gasps in the theater when Darth Vader is standing there in the Cloud City dining room ... I think he was cutting a turkey... my memory is a little foggy.
2) Dark ending that tortured me knowing I had to wait 3 years for the conclusion. The great snappy dialog by Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark) that brought the characters to life (who admit it... were a little stiff in the first movie... ok very stiff).
3)Yoda. the problem with Yoda though was he ushered in the muppetfest that was the third movie and that led to JarJar and the eventual downfall of the franchise. Plus Yoda was the person who made Luke stop being a whining little b****,
4) First full Jedi-Sith battle.

Anyways, Empire is the highest ranked geek movie after Dark Knight. I just think that overtime Dark Knight will continue to drop as other geek films like Matrix, Memento and Amelie (I am including that as a female geek movie).

I would love to hear other thoughts on Dark Knight, Empire Strikes Back, IMDB or favorite movies.

(as for Art of Ledger's Joker... read the other Blog)

Thanks,
Leon Jimenez
L.A. Artwork.com

No comments:

Time Lapse Drawing